First Congregational United Church of Christ of Marysville, Ohio
“A Rainbow of Hope in an Uncertain World”
The First Congregational United Church of Christ is housed in the oldest church building in Marysville, Ohio. It is located, as most influential congregations were, on the southeast corner of the courthouse square.
“The Congregational Church of Marysville was organized October 18, 1864, having been known for some years previously, 1840-1864, as the Second Presbyterian Church of Marysville, belonging to the New School branch of the Presbyterian Church.
The reason for the change was that only one Presbyterian Church should be sustained in our village: and as a majority of the members preferred the Congregational form of church government, a Congregational Church was organized with 70 members.”
The Manual of the Congregational Church of Marysville, Tribune Press, 1877
The original church was organized around 1840 in a protest championing the antislavery cause as well as the revival of the temperance movement. The second movement of organization in 1864 brought together many different denominations such as the Baptists, Episcopalians, Universalists, and Congregationalists. Today, First Congregational United Church of Christ of Marysville continues its strong tradition of prophetic faith as it covenants with the United Church of Christ to live into becoming a Just Peace, Open and Affirming, Multicultural, Multiracial, and Accessible to All congregation.
Many prominent members of Union County were members of First Congregational Church. Orlando McLean Scott, founder of the Scott-Miracle Gro Company purchased the land for the erection of the present church building. C.S. Hamilton, U.S, Congressman and newspaper publisher as well as Judge Edward Porter were other well-known members of the church. The cornerstone of the present building was laid on August 30, 1871. The lower level, Fellowship Hall, was dedicated in 1872. The sanctuary was finished in 1878. Our Tracker pipe organ was made in Wilmington, Delaware by the John Brown Company and was assembled and then dedicated on April 12, 1895. The total funds for building the new sanctuary ($1,630.00) and the new parsonage ($1,500) were raised by the Women of the First Congregational Church of Marysville and their charity cookbook.
“Three cookbooks celebrated America’s Centennial [May 19, 1876]. Two were directly connected with the Exposition: Ella Myer’s The Centennial Cookbook and General Guide and the Women’s Centennial Committee’s National Cookery Book . . . the third cookbook, the Centennial Buckeye Cook Book was compiled by a committee of women at the Congregational church in Marysville, Ohio, and was dedicated to the ‘plucky housewives of 1876 who master their work instead of allowing their work to master them.’"
Centennial Buckeye Cook Book, Ohio State University Press, 2000.